I decided to create a new blog for my holidays this year to keep things separate from my main blog. I'm going to try an post regularly while on holiday but it will depend on when I can get a wifi connection on my iPad. I'm going to be using my Kodak Playsport to take the pics and then do some basic processing on the Camera+ app. I've found that I'm not able to edit the blog using the normal editor for Blogger within Safari (it crashes when I try to publish) to I'm going to use BlogPress instead. One thing I need to edit after the initial posting is the photo size as it creates them at the small size by default and I prefer them a bit bigger.

After a bit more testing I've abandoned Camera+ because it keeps crashing when I try to save my edited photos so now I'm using PhotoForge2 which seems a lot better and has a lot more editing options. I've also found that when I add photos to the post in BlogPress that I can resize them within the editor so that makes things a lot simpler.

Posting the photos separately as the slow connection is causing BlogPress to time out I think.

Saturday 13 August 2011

Day 1 - New Mill to Honfleur

Well it has rained in various amounts all day with just fleeting glimpses of blue sky and the sun as we first left Calais. We had roadworks for miles on the M1 and M25 followed by a big tailback at road works at the tunnel under Round Hill just outside Dover. All I could see was a bit of a metal ramp on the road just at the entrance to the tunnel so it seemed a bit excessive. Here's the tunnel entrance.




Anyway we got to the ferry port in time and had quite a good crossing although it was a bit more choppy than normal. Here we are just coming into Calais as one of the other ferries is setting off back to Dover.




It seemed to be a bit brighter when we first got to France but it didn't last long. However we seemed to be making good time until we hit the peage at the end of the A29 just outside Le Havre where there was a massive queue at the pay station. We were only about 20 miles from Honfleur and about half an hour earlier than anticipated until we were held up in the traffic. Once we' d got through that just another few miles down the road we were held up in an even bigger tailback at the pay station for the Pont de Normandie, the big bridge over the Seine.




Finally got throughout the pay station then over the bridge and to the hotel in The last 20 miles had taken nearly 2 hours, so a bit fed up.




It's still raining very hard so we have our evening meal at the hotel restaurant. It was very, very good although quite expensive, lots of fishy things. The weather forecast for tomorrow is for it to be a bit drier, let's hope so. Might get to pop to the harbour in the morning and get some photos of the boats, then we're setting off to Vitre near Rennes. We might stop somewhere on the way, we'll see how it goes.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment